Anime Japan University

Doraemon

Had a fun time in our last Japanese lesson of the term today learning a little song from a popular Japanese cartoon – Doraemon.

Doraemon

The cartoon was originally created in 1969 and follows a cat-like robot from the 22nd century of the future (how do they think these things up…!) who is sent back to the 20th century to help Nobita, a rather hapless school boy. It became one of Japan’s most popular and well-loved manga/anime series which has a cult following (just do a search on Google and you’ll see what I mean!).

Doraemon

You could almost see Doraemon as the equivalent of Mickey Mouse in the U.S. (but a lot less annoying). If you’re so inclined you can:

• Listen to the theme song here (or below).
  • Read the lyrics (with translation) here.
  • Read an article explaining Doraemon’s history here.
  • Visit the official website here.

Author

Originally from the UK, David is designer and wanderer currently based in Tokyo. Prior to this, he lived in China and still returns frequently to continue exploring this vast and varied land. He started Randomwire in 2003 to chronicle his travels and occasional musings. Feel free to drop him a line.

194 Comments Add New Comment

1. David says:

To be honest I'm not a big fan of Disney – I don't mind the classic stuff but anything beyong about 1990 isn't all that good. For some reason the whole Mickey Mouse business just annoys me, not sure why, it just does! Doraemon is cool though!

2. Maria says:

Wow! I love Doraemon! David, you've found a masterpiece. The balloons are great, but I'd worry about having some kind of helicopter blade in my head. There's only one point I disagree with you on – how could you find Mickey Mouse annoying? Apart from Fingermouse, the Rats of Nimh, and Jerry, he's the most intelligent rodent of them all! (though Jerry is evil, he really shouldn't pick on Tom like that).

3. Selina says:

I can remenber the first time when I saw the cat on the book,it was in 1995(China).He is soo cool,he always have the spical things in his pocket!He is the greatest cat in the world!I love Doraemon!

4. yeek says:

i luuuuuuuuvvvvve Doraemon!!!! and the theme song!!! i just simply grew up with it and listening to the song will always bring back my childhood memories back in my homeland… thanks alot!

5. Black Dsah says:

When I wasd a kids, everytime we want to Spain I would site and watch even thow I didn't understand what they were saying

6. Glaize says:

Since grade school I am a big fan of DOREAMON… he is part of my life ever…and now im already finish my studies and busy on my work,…nothing change…many of my friends here in the Philippines love DOREAMON…MAHAL NA MAHAL NAMEN YAN..

7. jasonyokie says:

am i abit too late to ask for the doreamon theme mp3… this post was since December 8, 2004 …. and now 28 july 2007… well just let me know if you got it..coz love doreamon so much..thanks guys

8. LEnnon says:

Not to sound crazy..but i'm from Barbados in the Caribbean, and I remember watching this cartoon, but it was called Albert and Sidney, and the theme song went like…

“put a propeller on top of your hat, Albert and Sidney a boy and his cat, Albert has magic, Sidney has fun…etc. etc.”

I never knew what Doraemon was until I went searching for Albert and Sidney online and stumbled across the cute little blue cat…but now his name was Doraemon, can anyone help me?

9. Aang says:

I love Doraemon so much. Anyone have ost doraemon complete (movie and the ending)? If yes, please post me the website or send to me. I'm so depressed when I was searching the OST doraemon complete. I really need it. This is my email [email protected]