So this morning my taxi driver taking me to work got lost. I had given him instructions written in Chinese on how to get there but it still didn’t seem enough. He stopped multiple times to ask other drivers and even at one point did a U-turn on a major road (an interesting experience on its own!). Added to this he didn’t speak a word of English. Eventually, we got to the office but I can’t help but wonder if he was giving us the runaround!
Some general observations about Beijing:
- There is development going on everywhere on a massive scale
- Everything outdoors is covered in a thin layer of dust – presumably blown down from the surrounding desert
- The air is very dry and the pollution is sometimes visible
- Nearly every time I touch something like a light switch I get a small electric shock, rather worrying!
- I have never seen so many cars – if you think London is congested this is something else…
- Whereas the UK starts to close down around 5pm, in Beijing this is the busiest time
- You can buy Windows Vista here for 10 RMB (about 1$), legality questionable!