Looking back at 2009 I’d probably characterize it as my year of travel and exploration in China – I took 24 flights and was privileged to visit and stay in many amazing places I had never been before. Along the way, I’ve learnt a huge amount about Chinese culture which continues to fascinate and bewilder me in equal measure. Having become familiar with where things are and how things work, life in Shenzhen has become fairly routine. Given my list of goals last year I thought it was about time to review them and set some new ones for the coming twenty-ten:
2009 goals in review:
- Gain basic fluency in Mandarin – failed (while my vocab has improved grammar is still non-existant)
- Improve photography skills – achieved (although I’ve still got a long way to go I’m quite happy with my results recently)
- Get fitter through more regular exercise – moderate improvement (but need to schedule more regular activities)
- Cook more – achieved (and learnt a few new dishes along the way)
- Stay focused and filter out distractions – failed (I read more than ever and have way too many projects on the go)
- Redesign blog template – achieved (you’re looking at it now)
3.5 out of 6 isn’t too bad in my book but the language part is rather frustrating.
- Create and stick to a schedule for language learning and fitness
- Start a business of some sort and see it through (more on this later)
- Improve writing skills and user participation in blog
- Create more video content and how-to guides
- Visit Japan – something I’ve wanted to do for many years
- Learn how to cope with stress better (and sleep more!)
Finally I’d like to say a BIG thank you to everyone who reads Randomwire – this year traffic has nearly doubled and my only wish is that I had time to write more content for it. In an ideal world, I’d love to be able to do this full-time in some capacity but for now, it’ll continue as a labour of love blissfully free of ads (although if anyone is interested in sponsorship do get in touch).
As with last year, I’ll leave you with an appropriately titled track from the ever-manic Capsule:
A very Happy New Year to all 🙂
5 Comments Add New Comment
Hi friend,long time no say anything at here.luckly,it seems I am the first one to give comment on 2010,lol.anyway,I just want to say my biggest achievement was knew a friend like you who can share a lot of things ,I really apppreciate this.you gave me a lot of spirit,I think this is what friends should be.2010,hope everything will be better for you,cheersssssssss!
Thanks for your kind comment R – hope you’ll find what you really want to do this year 🙂
I think our goals and failures mirror each other. My Mandarin studying habits: Extremely poor.
I did manage to get into an exercise routine which I pretty faithfully adhere to. Do you have a gym or health club near your place? It’s slow going at first, but once you get over “the hump” it’s a great feeling.
Yeah there are two gyms near me but I have a deep seated hatred of such places so have avoided so far but may be willing to give it a shot this year. Thanks for the encouragement 🙂
Happy new year~ Wish you a most happy and prosperous new year ~